Today, I have the plan to share the recipe of Turkish Eggplant, AKA Karniyarik. In Turkey, this is a traditional and taste-wise very lucrative dish as well. The combination of seasoned beef and luscious eggplant is very addictive. This recipe is one of my favorite dishes. I used to prepare this during the early time of my career as a chef. I can still smell the roasting eggplant and the spices from my initial hotel kitchen. It makes me a little nostalgic just thinking about it.
This recipe is one of my favorite dishes. I used to prepare this during the early time of my career as a chef.Chef Adam Schihab
For a long time, I did not try to make this dish. Last few days, I am craving this dish. So I thought, why not prepare this and share it with all of you? Today, when I am trying to write about this recipe, I feel nostalgic. Although it is time-consuming, it is well worth it!
So let us not waste a bit more time cooking this exotic eggplant recipe – The Turkish Eggplant – Karniyarik.
- Five to six Medium size Eggplants
- 500 Gm Ground Beef
- Two Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- One diced small Onion
- One Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- Salt – As required
- Pepper – As required
- One sliced Tomato
- Five to six Hot Chilli Peppers (Green)
Optional: Crusty Bread
- Step 1: The oven need to preheated up to 200 degrees C
- Step 2: Clean eggplants with strips
- Step 3: Salt the eggplants on both sides and set them aside for about 30 mins (This will help soak up more moisture)
- Step 4: Run under cold water to wash off excess salt. Squeeze the remaining moisture, then dry it with a paper towel
- Step 5: Put cooking oil in a pan and place the red eggplants on both sides until soft.
- Step 6: Place the eggplants in a casserole dish and separate the center with a knife. Set aside
- Step 7: Put cooking oil in a pan. Add the chopped onion. Cook until fluffy, then add the beef. Cook until the meat is cooked, then add the remaining ingredients.
- Step 8: Place the beef mixture on the ground in the eggplants
- Step 9: Sprinkle with tomato pepper and green pepper.
- Step 10: Place in the oven, uncovered
- Step 11: Bake for about 25 mins, or until done
The Turkish eggplant (Karniyarik) dish is very creamy; you don’t even need a knife! You just need a fork and a crust for baking bread. The eggplant seems to melt in your mouth, and the spices give us the right amount of kicking. I’m hungry just thinking! It is usually used hot as — or paired with rice or a healthy side salad.
I usually serve this dish with Turkish rice. I have some great recipes on my website on how to make Turkish rice with fried videos. It goes well with this recipe!
For more information about my recipes and cooking related tips, you can check the Adam’s Kitchen website https://news.schihab.com. Enhance your well-being and healthy life by discovering how to prepare yourself to enjoy fresh and healthy food. I want to request you to follow me on Instagram (@adamschihab) to share my updates daily.